Preparing Your Kitchen for New Countertops
If you are reading this, you must be very excited with your new purchase and counting the days to have your new countertops installed. The tips below will help you to have a smooth and pleasant experience during your new countertops template and installation visit. Keep in mind that Granite Works recommends that new counters be measured and installed during the final phase of any remodeling project, especially if you are purchasing a soft material such as marble, which could scratch easily in comparison to quartz and granite.
Once the order is placed, a visit will be scheduled to make the final measurements. During this visit, our templater will confirm all details of your new countertops. All information regarding the project must be available for the technician at the template visit as described below:
New countertop TEMPLATE checklist
- New cabinets must be fully installed before countertops can be measured & installed.
- Garage cabinets or any other part of the cabinetry that will rest on top of countertops must be installed If already installed, a gap of 1.3/8” it’s required for a 3cm thick material and 7/8” for 2cm thick materials.
- Projects with existing countertops in place can be templated, in most of the cases, without any problems. The existing countertop surface must be clear of any objects prior to the templater’s arrival.
- All cut-out information such as faucet hole, cooktop, sink, hot/cold water, etc. must be available at template visit.
- Seam locations, overhangs, and other details will be decided during the template visit. A decision maker, 18 years old or older, must be present to approve all the measurements and all other project details.
- Projects with full height backsplashes require two template visits. During the first visit, we will measure the countertops only. After installation, we will set up a second date to measure the full height backsplashes.
New countertop INSTALLATION checklist
Installing natural stone or quartz countertops is considered a construction process, dust, and noise should be expected.
- New or existing cabinets must be fully installed and leveled prior to installation date.
- Sink and cooktop base cabinets must be emptied.
- Pets and children must be kept away from installation area for safety reasons.
- An adult over age 18 with authority to make decisions regarding the installation must be present.
- Make sure the installation area is free of any breakable objects.
- Remove the top drawers or all cover the utensils.
By following the tips above both template and installation visit will be a smooth and pleasant process.