Because kids – and pets – are naturally curious and energetic, they tend to get into almost everything. No room remains unexplored; no interesting knickknacks remain untouched (or unbitten). You have to be particularly wary of them getting into the kitchen cabinets, which are usually chock full of things that no child or pet should access. You’ll need to child- or pet-proof your kitchen cabinets.
- Install child-proof locks or latches. Most homeowners keep their cleaning liquids and supplies at the bottom cabinet – a space a curious toddler or pet can easily access. You can either keep that particular cabinet inaccessible by installing a child-proof lock or latch, or remove the items and put them somewhere else your child can’t reach. The same goes for the lower cabinets that may contain sharp kitchen implements, heavy items and breakables.
- Consider other locking options for your cabinets. The fact is that you shouldn’t underestimate kids: they’ll find a workaround to those locks or latches eventually. Fortunately, there are plenty of other systems to choose from, and most are effective at discouraging little fingers from getting into the stuff inside the cabinets. Sliding and pull cord locks are only a few examples.
- Take measures that prevent Rover or Buddy from getting into your cabinets. This may be somewhat easier to do since dogs and cats don’t have opposable thumbs, but you’ll be surprised at what they can do. You can:
- Install child-proof locks. They are effective at keeping pets out of the cabinets as well. But some dog breeds are smarter than others, so install double locks just to be sure.
- Avoid storing food on the lower cabinets. Dogs have a strong sense of smell, and chances are, they’ll focus on getting into your cabinets because of it. Move food items to cabinets at your eye level, and put “boring and odorless” items like pots and pans inside the bottom cabinets instead.
- Correct your dog when they try to get into the cabinets. By making them understand that the cabinets are off-limits, there’s a good chance they’ll leave them alone.
Call Us Today!
Granite Works offers exceptional countertops that are customized for your kitchen’s look and specific needs. But we also specialize in cabinetry installation and replacement, which is just as important as countertops when it comes to improving the aesthetics and function of your kitchen space. We proudly serve Rockville, MD, and the surrounding areas in DC and Virginia. Call us today at (301) 640-5010, or fill out this contact form to schedule your design consultation.