Keeping a natural stone looking like new for years to come is not a hard task at all. Here are five tips to help you to maintain your granite, marble or quartz countertops looking new ten years from now.
- Keep the sealer application up to date – sealants are a good way to protect your investment. However, do not rely only on it. Sealers are made to delay the absorption process, NOT to prevent it 100%. So, if you drop any liquid on it don’t forget to wipe it off.
- Use water and mild soap to clean the countertops – Yes, just water and soap on a daily basis. Like our skin, a daily “shower” will keep the stone looking fresh and clean.
- Use a trivet or hot pad on the serve food areas – A little protection is always welcome; however, do not leave it on the surface at all times. When wet, the trivet can liberate a chemical reaction with the surface and etch the countertop – especially marble.
- Use a cutting board on the food prep area – Yes, granite is pretty hard; however, it can still be scratched. Why put your beautiful countertop at risk?
- Don’t use regular household cleaners – Glass cleaner, bleach or any other abrasive chemical are not recommended. The acidity and other chemicals contained in these products will degrade the sealer and can etch marble leaving the surface more vulnerable to staining.