When it comes to countertops, two options dominate the conversation: granite and quartz. They’re practically indistinguishable in appearance and share almost similar mechanical properties. Despite their lack of apparent differences, these materials aren’t cut from the same stone.
How Are They Made?
Both materials can be used to produce stone countertops. Granite, however, is 100% natural. The quartz everyone knows about is actually just 97% natural quartz; other minerals represent the remaining 3%.
Although both materials come straight from the earth, just granite is quarried. Quartz countertops are engineered and manufactured into slabs.
Do They Really Look the Same?
Granite and quartz are visually identical. But if you shop around for products long enough, though, you’ll notice that these materials differ in color and mineral pattern.
As an engineered product, quartz offers a uniform appearance. Some manufacturers may intentionally design quartz countertops differently to eliminate any resemblance between them and granite products.
On the other hand, natural stone is almost always unique. The color and mineral pattern may appear unusual sometimes. Offbeat aesthetic features are part of granite’s charm.
How Much Maintenance Do They Need?
Granite and quartz countertops can endure the daily kitchen grind for a long time. The problem with former, though, is that it’s porous by nature, which is why it requires periodic resealing. Improper maintenance increases the chances of bacterial growth because of moisture and discoloration, especially due to wine spillage.
On the contrary, quartz is made with resins, which seal its surface and lighten the upkeep of the material. Also, slabs of quartz are less likely to crack than those made of granite.
When it comes to granite versus quartz, it’s always a matter of personal preference. Talk to Granite Works to learn more about your countertop options and discuss your kitchen remodeling project. Call (301) 712-9486 to set up an appointment with us in Maryland.